Award-winning developer Countryside has started infrastructure work on its newest housing development on the edge of Rayleigh, Essex known as Wolsey Park.
The 115 acre site has planning permission for 500 homes, 35% of which are affordable, and has been carefully designed around a landscaped-led masterplan.
The first phase of infrastructure works include the following key elements:
- A new junction on Rawreth Lane and the northern section of the spine road, which will ultimately link to London Road;
- 10 hectares of new public open space including green corridors and a new children’s playground;
- New drainage ponds to the north of Rawreth Brook, which will reduce rainwater runoff from the development by storing water during periods of high rainfall;
- Services works to supply the site with electrical, gas, water and telecommunications infrastructure;
- A temporary construction access is also being created on Rawreth Lane.
Proposals have been drawn up in conjunction with Rochford District Council and Essex County Council to ensure that the works are effectively managed and to minimise disruption.
Construction is due to start shortly on the first 192 homes, comprising a range of 1 to 5 bedroom homes. These will include smaller properties suitable for first time buyers as well as larger family homes.
As part of the development, Countryside will invest significantly in local services and infrastructure. This will be used for primary and secondary school improvements, the provision of youth facilities, new sports pitches, local highway works and improvements to the operation of Rawreth Brook.
Once the initial infrastructure is in place, work will also begin to create the southern access into Wolsey Park from London Road.
Andrew Carrington, Managing Director, Housebuilding (Strategic Land) Countryside, comments:
“We are delighted to begin construction work on Wolsey Park. Once complete, the development will deliver a wide range of much needed new homes in an attractive parkland setting.”
For more information about what’s to come at Wolsey Park, download our development update.